Friday 12 February 2016

Late-Night Swatches : NARS x Steven Klein Collection



#AreYouANARSissist

As you can see from the title, we will be going to the NARS side today. I have been playing around with some of NARS' products for a while now, tested them out and it is due time for a comprehensive, swatch-filled review! The products that I've picked out to talk about are specifically from the Steven Klein Colour Collection,  listed below -

NARS x Steven Klein Eyeshadow in Never Too Late
NARS x Steven Klein Killer Shine Lipstick in Besame Mucho
NARS x Steven Klein Killer Shine Lip Gloss in Provoke



The Steven Klein Color x Gifting Collection was - for me - one of the most creative collection NARS has collaborated with, and they've done plenty. The aesthetics of the collection was different, and controversial, provocative - well, it's Steven Klein we're talking about here, so don't expect any cute-sy shit. The collection played well with his line of work - from the colours, the textures and even the names of each item (he named most of it, anyway) which was quite interesting, to see an art form taking shape into cosmetics. You can look up the Gifting Collection, packaging is just wow. In architecture we call it in-adaptation ;) but we won't get into my half hour lecture on that lol. I wasn't quite impressed with the blushes in this collection, but if you're looking for the motherload of pigmented, silky blushes, an excellent one would be the Blame It On Nars palette (swatched and reviewed here). In KL, you can still grab the Steven Klein collection, but I'm convinced that it is off the NARS website already to make way for SS16 collection. Since it's Steven Klein, we'll start with the lips.


NARS x Steven Klein Killer Shine Lipstick in Besame Mucho



Colour & Pigmentation

I wanted this lip colour since it launched, but it was sold out everywhere, so I was pleasantly surprised when this particular shade arrived at my doorstep. Described as a "deep rose-beige", I find that the beige tones are more prominent on me. I would rather describe it as a peachy brown nude, to be honest, at least that is what it is on my skin tone. It is an easy everyday colour to pull off. If you have medium-dark skin tone, I'm afraid this might be a tad too pale and will have that "concealer lips" effect hence the need for a darker lip liner. Again, I will recommend By Terry's Perfect Lip Liner in Perfect Nude, or in terms of colouring, anything brown-based or a deep neutral. It might be a nude, but since it is a NARS lipstick, they don't skimp on the pigments. Pigmentation is crazy good.



Texture, Finish & Application

I never actually liked wearing non-matte lipstick, it's just a preference of mine, but for some reason, this lipstick just gives out a unique finish than any other lipsticks out there. Marketed as the Killer Shine Lipstick Collection, Besame Mucho has an almost latex-like sheen to the lips, making it look super super glossy and fuller looking. That is the problem with most non-matte lipsticks in the market nowadays, it's always neither here or there. If you're not gonna be matte, you better be something, right?! This was exactly the finish I was looking for in a creamy lipstick, it was so shiny that it is almost wet-looking, and Nars and Steven Klein killed it on the formulation of the Killer Shine Lipsticks. It feels very comfortable on the lips and doesn't dry out my lips at all. I love it. Oh, btw, these lipsticks are very very moisturising (more oils than wax in the formulation) so, don't leave them in your clutch or in the car (God forbid) as these will melt. My lipstick tray is just by my window on display, and I can see that the bullet is melting off day by day, this lipstick is now in my fridge on a rehab, lol.


NARS x Steven Klein Killer Shine Lip Gloss in Provoke



Colour & Pigmentation 

On the website, it is described as a "deep, iris purple". This product has a cool undertone with specks of blue and violet michoshimmers distributed within the gloss. I am not a gloss kind of girl, so it was one shocking moment (see what I did there, Nars) that I am head over heels with this gloss. The colour is unbelievably beautiful, and not to mention pigmented. I could barely see the pigments of my lips with one swipe, and I think one layer is ample to wear for a daytime look, but to amp up the colour, as well as the texture, it is buildable and builds damn well, too. In flash photography, it looks almost lavender purple, and it is so, so beautiful, I feel like if you layer this on top of a white-based nude lip, it would give some of the lavender action in natural light. I'll try mixing Besame Mucho with the gloss and let you know how it goes. 



Texture, Finish & Application

The Killer Shine Lip Gloss gives the look of having patent leather lips, almost plastic-looking effect. This doesn't just have that killer shine, I think the gloss is the definition of the killer shine. It is so wet-looking and dramatic, and the application goes on quite unlike any other glosses, as it is not very sticky due to the patent effect in the product. It feels almost like you're applying melted latex to your lips (I use the word latex a lot but dammit Steven Klein I know you were thinking it). The gloss doesn't come with the usual doe-foot but it comes with a tiny, long linear brush. It makes sense actually as you need small, precise doses of the gloss to have an even, smooth layer on the lips. Again, these do not dry out the lips one bit. To remove the gloss, simply wipe off the product with a clean, dry cotton tip - absolutely free of mess and so, so quick. That is all, no joke.  It does slightly stain the lips, so use a good micellar or makeup remover afterwards.


Nars x Steven Klein Single Eyeshadow in Never Too Late



Colour & Pigmentation

And we've saved the best for last.

Never Too Late is an olive green with gold shimmers, on my skin tho it comes off as a neutral taupe-y green on me. It has a slight brown undertone to the colour, and it is so gorgeously silky and finely milled! I surely wished that the pigment is slightly stronger in this shadow as per swatched below, as it took me 2-3 go's for it to even show up on my arms. In the eye look below, I have taken Inglot Freedom Eye Shadows in #342 in the outer corner of my eyes and slightly blended into the crease. I've used Booty Call from Urban Decay to highlight at the inner corners. Never Too Late is then used on the outer corners to deepen the shadow as well as  all over the lid and blended up and out towards the crease to give a soft wash of neutral. The shimmers in the shadow is finely milled and shows up beautifully on the lids. I have a dupe for the Never Too Late shadow, which is swatched below, but it is a matte shadow, so if you don't like shimmers on the lids (WHY??), you can opt for the dupe instead. Never Too Late is a different kind of neutral, for all you hipsters out there who says nay to your good ol' taupes.





Texture, Finish & Application

As all of Nars' eyeshadows are, the texture of Never Too Late is so finely milled that my M.A.C. 217 is going wtf because everything just automatically blends itself when it touched ma face lol. It's really easy to wear for an unusual colour because it isn't your typical neutral and it is cool-toned as well, so blendibility is key. And this colour has that key. The finish is a satin finish and it is mildly shimmery, nothing too crazy but it has a nice balance and you can use this colour to deepen the outer corners if you're going for a lighter, subtle look. You can use this shadow wet/dry (here I've used it dry) and this lasted me throughout the day, as expected cause we expect nothing less from Nars. I do find that patting this on the lid first with a flat shader brush or a Bobbi Brown Eye Sweep brush to lay the colours is better as the green would show up better, as oppose to the brown undertones. The colour builds up nicely on the lids, but as I mentioned before, it is not as pigmented as I wished it was. There is no fall out and the eyeshadow doesn't kick up a lot of powder as well. Nice!



L to R : NARS Isola Bella, M.A.C. Yash, NARS Besame Mucho, Dior 5 Couleurs in Royal Khaki, NARS Never Too Late, Urban Decay Shame, NARS Provoke 

Since this is a limited edition, I have swatched out dupes/comparable products next to the Steven Klein ones, and they are almosssst identical - but still, these items are quite unique! The Urban Decay lipstick for example (swatched and reviewed here) is more of a raspberry toned but Provoke is definitely not red-based and it is straight up purple. For makeup enthusiast, we are all probably picky on that end. But if you just wanted to scratch an itch, there are a lot of similar colours out there. Hey, let me know if you came across one just like these! Overall, I do find myself liking these NARS collectibles and I am definitely excited for any upcoming collaborations in the near future. The Steven Klein colours are definitely pretty with a twist and as a makeup enthusiast, I was quite pleased that he made the effort to come out with the Killer Shine formulations with Nars as it is just so unique and I have nothing quite like it (especially the lipstick, not being suitable for the tropics and all hahaha). 




Makeup Worn

(no primer, no foundation)
Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows in Soft Brown
Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara
Diorskin Star Concealer in 02
Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette (Booty Call, Foxy)
NARS Blame It On Nars Palette (Day Dream)
Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush in No.07 Earthy Blush
NARS x Steven Klein Eyeshadow in Never Too Late
NARS x Steven Klein Killer Shine Lipstick in Besame Mucho

No comments:

Post a Comment