Saturday 12 December 2015

Late-Night Swatches : Rimmel Exaggerate x Lasting Finish Lip Pencils




I confess. I am a lip liner fiend. I'd rather buy lip liners than lipsticks, and having said that, I have tried and tested various liners from the deep sea of luxury brands - Chanel, By Terry, Urban Decay, as well as a mix of mid-end to drugstore lines like MAC, and Rimmel. Well, I prefer la compagnie des le crayon à levres, simply because,


A. It's cheaper

B. I can just add lip balm before/after putting liners on if it gets too drying
C. It lasts longer than a lipstick
D. I have pigmented lips

Today's swatches will be of the two versions of lip liners that Rimmel London has come up with. Rimmel London wasn't readily available in KL but you can get your hands on them via Instagram 




L to R : Exaggerate Liners in 063 Eastend Snob, 024 Red Diva and Lasting Finish liners in 011 Spice, 050 Tiramisu

He got me two shades from the Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner, £5.39, which were 


024 Red Diva

063 Eastend Snob

and two from the Lasting Finish 1000 Kisses Lip Liner (one thousand .. really?), £2.99 (!!), in the shades


050 Tiramisu (the colour I wanted)

011 Spice

The difference between the Exaggerate liners and the Lasting Finish is in its'


1. Price, Exaggerate liners are more expensive because it is a twist up liner 

2. Texture, Exaggerate liners are creamier, lasts longer, despite it being the creamier one
3. Pigmentation ..? Nope ! I'm happy to report that both are equally as pigmented !


Let's start with the swatches 




024 Red Diva 


The colour is a blue-based red, which I prefer in reds. When using the Exaggerate liners you have to make sure that you don't twist up the liner too much because it will break. It's that creamy. So use a light hand and twist up just a tiny bit to prevent the product from breaking. This liner glides on like buttaaah and doesn't budge even after eating and drinking. I use this to fill my whole lips and I didn't need to apply a lip balm afterwards because it does feel comfortable on the lips. Love. 




063 Eastend Snob 


Eastend Snob is a lovely blue-based baby pink, and, it's considered a dupe for Charlotte Tilbury's Pillow Talk. Tho, this is the colour I don't reach out for as much as the other three because the blue tones shows up a little bit more on me than it does on other people (whyyyyy). Texture-wise, since it's from the Exaggerate line, is as creamy as Red Diva and I use this with a warmer nude lipstick on top to counteract the blue tones. If you like Pillow Talk, definitely give this a go. 




050 Tiramisu 


This is the colour that I wanted to try out, and after trying it, it immediately became one of my go-to colours. Tiramisu is a medium nude with hints of brown and (some) pink undertones. It leans more brown (as the name suggests) than pink. I can compare this a lot to the By Terry lip liner in the shade Perfect Nude. The texture of the Lasting Finish liners are creamy enough to glide on the lips. And if used without balm, you won't experience any tugging, too. Since it's a nude shade, my dry patches aren't accentuated but I do need to go over it twice to get full coverage because my lips are pigmented. This works on all skin types I find. Best on medium skin tones. I wear this colour on its own most of the time. Such a pretty nude. 




011 Spice 


I was obsessed with Spice during the "autumnal" times. In KL, autumn basically means Starbucks serving pumpkin spice lattes, ZARA fashion buyers bringing in pointless coats and heavy thick sweaters that I can only use in air-conditioned lecture halls, and a whole lot of rain (aka monsoon season or better known as tidur time). Spice, for me, is a deeper version of Tiramisu, with more pink undertones. As I said, it is the perfect autumn/winter colour to wear. I have no complaints with this liner. For some reason, Spice glides on much better than Tiramisu, and is also much much more pigmented. I only need to go over my lips once to get full coverage and it will last me the whole day. The Lasting Finish liners claim to last over "1000 kisses" ... but in food-terms, it lasts me throughout lunch (a Malaysian one, too. Rice, lauk, teh ais, the whole works) , so that works for me ;) 



L to R : 063 Eastend Snob, 024 Red Diva, 011 Spice, 050 Tiramisu


For the price, Rimmel liners is a major steal. It's creamy, it's definitely pigmented and in the colour selection, you get all sorts of different shades of nude for every skin tones. So lawa. I love these liners and for my Lasting Finish liners, it's all already so short because I have to sharpen it so often due to the exceedingly frequent use. These don't come with sharpeners but I'm sure all of us have a few stashed away in our Muji drawers (I have lost count on how many sharpeners I own). Definitely products to try out since it's so affordable. Don't buy the tuna sandwich, run down to Boots around the corner and get your hands on these instead. 


x Farah





1 comment: